Who Has Won the Most Championships in NBA History?
On these lists, you won't find legendary NBA players of yore such as Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlain, Shaquille O'Neal, or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
You also won't find current legends like Lebron James and Steph Curry, both of which have won recent NBA titles.
And, you won't find obscure trivia names like Jim Loscutoff, Frank Ramsey.
The people with the most NBA Championship Rings
With regard to the sport, these are the top five people who have won the most championships in NBA History. This includes time spent as a player, as a coach, as an executive, and as an owner.
Fun fact, if you add up all of their titles, you get the same amount of beers Wade Boggs drank on a cross country flight.
- Red Auerbach. Red was a coach and executive for the Boston Celtics. He won 16 titles.
- Phil Jackson. Phil coached the Chicago Bulls (Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen) & Los Angeles Lakers (Kobe Bryant and Shaq) to 11 titles respectively. He earned two more for his on court play for the New York Knicks in 1970 and 1973.
- K.C. Jones. Another Celtic. He garnered eight rings as a player. As an assistant and head coach, he added three more.
- Bill Russell. 11 titles for Bill Russell and his Boston Celtics. As a player, the guy owned the playoffs and NBA Finals.
- Sam Jones. Once again, another Celtic. Won all 10 rings as a Boston Garden regular.
Teams with the Most Championship Rings (Titles)
- Boston Celtics
- Los Angeles Lakers
- Chicago Bulls
- Golden State Warriors
- San Antonio Spurs
Runners up include the Philadelphia 76ers, Detroit Pistons, and Miami Heat (a team that does not end in S).
Players with the Most NBA Championship Rings (Titles)
- Bill Russell
- Sam Jones
- John Havlicek
- Tom Heinsohn
- K.C. Jones
- Tom Sanders
Runners up include ... everyone who didn't play for the Celtics from 1957 to 1969.
Coaches with the Most NBA Championship Rings (Titles)
- Phil Jackson
- Red Auerbach
- John Kundla
- Pat Riley
- Greg Popovich
Runners up include all of the coaches who went against these Hall of Famers.
Commissioners who have handed out the most NBA Championship Trophies
- David Stern (30)
- Maurice Podoloff (16)
- J. Walter Kennedy (12)
- Larry O'Brien (8)
- Adam Silver (7)